whitesmoke.co.za :: View topic - Did some plinking with Obatex this weekend

whitesmoke

Did some plinking with Obatex this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> General - open forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mars
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Did some plinking with Obatex this weekend Reply with quote

Fist off I need to apologise for no photos, groupings or other data. I went to a trout farm this weekend and the owner has his own little shooting range where he does mostly trap and skeet shooting. He has never fired a Muzzle loader and I took two rifles I get too few chances to play with. the first is an Ardesa Davy Crockett in .32 caliber and the second is a Lyman Great Plains in .50.

We ended up shooting from before lunch time until about 4 O'Clock. We simply could not put the rifles down.

We set up some unbroken clays we had recovered from the veld on his frames with masking tape (fortunately some of his guests sucked at skeet shooting) and proceeded to demolish them at about 40 paces, off-hand shooting.

I used 2F Obatex.

First I used 11 grains of Obatex per weight which translates to 20 grains per volume in my powder measure but after a while grew tired of measuring each charge so I simply used a 24 grain tube on my powder flask. I was really impressed. The powder flows easily and I was getting very consistent ignition with CCI Standard percussion caps. No issues whatsoever. The great thing about the .32 is that you can shoot the whole afternoon with a pill bottle full of .310 balls, another full of lubed patches and a small powder flask. using 24 grains by volume the percussion caps stayed on the nipple so no blow back on the hammer was experienced. I would thus say this is a safe load.

In the .50 I used 370 grain maxi balls with 36 grains of Obatex by weight, which is the weight one of the tubes happened to throw from the powder horn. Again I had no issues with ignition and we were able to bust the clays with ease so accuracy was not an issue. Again the CCI no11 standard caps did not give a single hang fire or any other issue with the Obatex.

We had a great time and the Obatex worked very well. I am so grateful that we have a locally produced black powder now. We really need to spread the word so that people can start buying and using it.

I also now have a BP convert who is looking for a rifle so if you know of a frontier type rifle in .45 or 50 caliber in good nick somewhere please let me know.

Last edited by Mars on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Robert
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mars, Nothing better than a satisfying day on the range, sounds like you have a great time.

I am still a kilo and a bit away from my first tin of Obatex, it's good to hear the product is performing well without issues.
wildeboer
Verkenner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, I still have a unopened tin of 1.5F that I still have to go and test.
Next years winter I will be hunting exclusively with blackpowder, found the perfect place for springbok&warthog for walk and stalk.
Mars
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come Robert you need to burn the other stuff now and get going with the Obatex. Nope Wink

We need to get the Obatex consumption up as quickly as possible. Clap
Robert
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars the pure powder I'm using now (AECI ML1) was manufactured in 1977..... OK that's the date on the label's imprint. I don't know if I should use it up or keep it for posterity. Either way I'm itching to try Obatex but the nearest supplier to me is 90 kilometers away, and I only brave JHB's homicidal traffic when I absolutely have to! Mad Surprised Sad
Mars
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Robert.
You should definitely save some for posterity and for future comparison.

That was good powder.

Pity about the distance. Where are you based?
Robert
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars I'm situated on the far west rand and the nearest Obatex supplier is Blunderbuss in Brackenhurst. I used to get all my BP consumables from Camdix in Krugersdorp but they are adamant they are not going to stock Obatex or any BP products at all. Confused Mad

I have decided to keep 250 grams of ML1 on one side, and will only use it for comparison as you suggested.
Mars
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really a pity. Hopefully the demand will increase to such an extent that they will eventually decide to keep it again.
GRAHAM
Verkenner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day Mars,
It is quite a while since I last posted on WS.
The Obtx that you used was that from the improved powder.

The powder that I have was from the first launched batch and found it to be very potent up to the point that I found that the nipples were taking a bit of a hammering.

Any comment on this.
Mars
Volksraadslid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham

This is of the fist batch of Obatex that was made available commercially. I got it from NSN. I was using conservative charges and did not notice any undue pressure signs such as hammer blow-back and caps blown from nipples.

The burning nipples occurred where we were trying to get to competition muzzle velocities in the Gibbs rifles.
Sponsor
GRAHAM
Verkenner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback Mars.
Will start with seriously shooting BP in the new year again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> General - open forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: