whitesmoke.co.za :: View topic - Snider-Enfield Mk III 1870 - Cavalry Carbine

whitesmoke

Snider-Enfield Mk III 1870 - Cavalry Carbine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> Historical Rifles and Handguns - open forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sybie
Penkop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Snider-Enfield Mk III 1870 - Cavalry Carbine Reply with quote

I inherited a beautiful old Snider Mk III manufactured/adapted by Enfield. It is date-stamped "1870". Has all the "right" markings and is, except for the single barrel-band, in original condition. Unfortunately missing the stock recessed cleaning/clearing rod/kit.

My Dad picked this up in 1961 from a London (UK) pawn-shop, more specifically because it had "Oom Paul" and "ZAR" stenciled on the butt - he was a sentimental sort of chap....

I have 2, no, 3 questions that I hope the kind forum-members will be able to help with:

1) Do I need a license for this (albeit black powder - still a doppie) gun?

2) Who can nowadays help me with ammo (brass cartridges), please?

3) I see there are still Sniders circulating through different auctions - would anybody know where I will be able to pick-up a cleaning/clearing rod (and spares) for this weapon, please?

I promise photos as soon as i have it in hand.
sybie@iafrica.com
Sponsor
johnb
Voortrekker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sybie any photos yet?
davidb
Voortrekker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per our PMs, yes, you do need a licence: it is a doppie gun after all.

Craig Monk should be able to help with brass. You can cut down 24g shotgun brass and form it but you need a die plus a 'big hole' press. That's expensive. The amount of re-shaping is minimal so if you have access to a lathe and the skills, turn up a die from mild steel rod. It won't need to be hardened. The dimensions are available on the net (just google snider brass). Getting hold of 24 gauge brass is I think impossible in SA and difficult if not impossible to import from the US. It seems there are no restrictions on exporting brass from the UK. Midway UK can get but they will only deliver to a UK address. I believe Henry Krank export brass but with our postal system I suspect you would never receive. They charge UKP4.60 for Bertram doppies. That's R92 per doppie!

Overall, your best bet will I think be Craig Monk but sit down when you hear the price: I guess R70 per doppie or more.

If you get stuck, let me know and I may be able to help out on a visit to the UK in September. When I bought 24g brass through Midway UK, it worked out at R16 per doppie. However, the Rand was then about 12 to UKP1.
davidb
Voortrekker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed your last question about the rod and spares: peterdyson.co.uk. He doesn't list barrel bands under Snider but I guess they are the same as for the parent Enfield: you could email him. Subject to length, I could bring the rod and other little bits back with me in Septembe and the postnet them to you. The rod is pricey: approx R560. You could consider making one. I think drawings are available on the net. Again, it would be the same as for a parent Enfield I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> Historical Rifles and Handguns - open forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: