whitesmoke.co.za :: View topic - Old graves etc

whitesmoke

Old graves etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> General Photography - open forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildeboer
Verkenner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Old graves etc Reply with quote

Found the following in my town, see them on a daily basis but never stopped to read them. A lot of history in Colesberg.

Sponsor
johnb
Voortrekker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildeboer
I love old graveyards. A lot of history and tragedy in them.

A some stage I still need to get to the commonwelath graves in Dbn with a camera.

By the way, did you guys in Colesberg get any of the recent rain that hit the Cape? I see Lainsburg got its feet a little wet again.

John
wildeboer
Verkenner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, we had some decent rain earlier in December but only a few drops the past 2-3 weeks.
There is quite a lot of historical buildings, graves etc in Colesberg but I havent visited any except the few graves. From what I remember from History at school there were a few concentration camps and famous battlegrounds around the district but I forgot most of it after school Embarassed
johnb
Voortrekker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenboer,
I was only taught 'modern' hisotry at school, which concentrated heavily on only certain aspects. Our school system stayed well clear of antying which predated the prescribed course, and insead did a bit of European and Brittish history.
South African history was strictly taboo.

I find it sad that it can be a bit difficult to find easily avaliable sources of history for the smaller towns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    whitesmoke.co.za Forum Index -> General Photography - open forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: